My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Friday 30 June 2023

Bike and Hike

Earlier this week Ron and I needed to take the motorcycle to Cranbrook for service.  We left Tuesday afternoon because Wednesday’s weather looked a little iffy.
Right on cue, it rained on us through the pass.
It was so warm though that we quickly dried off after each shower.
We stopped at a little coffee shop and enjoyed a nice treat.  
We decided to keep going after hearing some thunder.
We stayed overnight in Cranbrook and then took the motorcycle into Kawasaki the next morning.  After a short service, we drove home.  I loved being on the bike and having a little getaway.
Today was a hike day.  We left early because it was going to be a warm day but it got hot fast.  I knew that the Bertha Lake hike was steep but I didn’t realize how hard it would be for me.  
One couple passed us and said  “slow and steady.”  I really was more slow than steady, stopping at the beginning of each switchback to allow my heart rate to slow.  
Finally, we made it.  The cool breeze off the lake was so nice.  

After some snacks, we made our way back down the trail and it was all down.  It’s much easier on the heart rate but not so much for the knees.  

I think I am feeling my age but then I look around and see older couples happily hiking along.  I think I may just need to get in better shape.  
It’s always a good feeling to get a hard hike done but it’s not that fun when you are going “slow and steady” up the switchbacks.

After 4 hours, 12 kilometres and about 17,000 steps…the hike was finished.  Ron asked, “what hike are we doing tomorrow?”  I don’t think I answered him. 😳

No comments: