My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Wednesday 5 July 2023

Ripe for Picking

Ron and I have been walking more and along the paths we noticed that the saskatoon berries were ripening and plentiful.  

We would grab a handful and enjoy a little snack along the way.  Monday was a cooler day and so we decided we would go berry picking.  My thoughts were that we would get enough to add to our own strawberries.
Fresh from our own garden

We started off in one place and there were a lot of bushes and the berries looking perfect. Ron and I were picking in the same area and chatting with another lady.  There was a rustle at our feet and I looked down to see some light brown fur.  I thought it was a cat and since I talk to animals, I said “hello.”  It startled the little creature and it ran right by Ron’s foot.  We were both amazed to see the tiniest little fawn run out of the bush.  This little guy was moving too fast for a picture and I was too shocked to even try.  Our next thought was where was mama?  Mother deer can actually be quite vicious.  There weren’t any more rustlings but we did keep on alert just in case.

We drove from there and found a little guy but not sure if this was the one that startled us or we him.

We went to another area in town and picked until our bowls were almost full. I now had my work cut out for me.  I washed all of the berries and drained them.  

I made pie crust and then found a Recipe for saskatoon berry pie.  The pie took 5 cups of our fresh berries.  I mixed the ingredients and popped the pie in the oven.  While it was cooking I measured out the rest of our harvest.  I put three bags of berries in the freezer all measured out for some tasty treats…..another pie, a patch of muffins and a crisp.  There were still some left to mix with our strawberries for a tasty snack.

It was time to let the pie cool.  



I cleaned the kitchen and then made some tea.  While the pie was still quite warm, I cut two slices and topped with icecream.  We sat on the deck enjoying the “fruit” of our labour.  Sooo delicious.

We have lived here for five years and have never picked the berries like this.  They are everywhere around town, free for the taking.  Retirement gives you the time to stop and smell the roses and pick ripe berries.  It also gives you the time to exercise more which you have to do after making desserts.

And just another little thing about saskatoon berries..they are a super fruit.

From Prairie Berries.com

Does a super fruit count if you put it between two pie crusts?  It does for me!

No comments: