So in September the talks began. Ron had many choices listed from all of the territories, Alberta, Ontario and some special sections in Saskatchewan. When staffing met with Ron he was told that he needed to include some general duties in this division. Ron selected a few. In November he was offered a posting of Weyburn traffic. Although it was close to Regina it really wasn't what we had hoped for. Ron decided that he really didn't want to go to traffic. He turned the posting down.
The next day a phone call came in from staffing. They seemed confused as to why he would turn down a posting that was in his list of places to go....remember the list that they told him he had to add Saskatchewan postings. When he explained that she asked Ron if he wanted to be released from the division....now they have gotten it! She then stated that the territories would not be an option as more senior officers want those positions. The only division that would probably open up would be Alberta. That was just fine with us as our son was in the final stages for a position in Calgary. So we waited.
December came and another call from staffing. O division was increasing some positions around the parliament. She gave the code to put on his list and said that there was a good chance ontario staffing would be calling. Talk about excited. We searched out different areas of Ottawa via the Internet. This would put us just over one hour from Jenn and the grandchildren, only two hours to our parents. And so we waited.
Christmas came, expectation still there. 2015 came and then on January 12th another offer came. Our hearts dropped as we considered Warman, SK. The location is considered one of the best in Saskatchewan but we were considered releasable. Ron turned the posting down. Staffing called. They stated that no other division was contacting them for Ron and so it was time to get something in place. She would send the offer back to him to reconsider.
And now the low part came in. I think I cried for two days. The hopes of being close to family was fading. We really hated the thought of committing to a five year posting. We thought and prayed about options. We felt like we were being pressured to take Warman. We knew that it could be a lot worse but we were hoping for just something else. After a few days Ron and I decided that we would ask for a one year extension here in Deschambault Lake. We never thought we would do this but it felt like our best option as it will only be a one year commitment and then we can go through the roller coaster ride again next year.
We are still praying for that miracle...miracles do happen. We know at this point we are at peace with our decision. We have to renew our medicals within the next couple of months to make sure we are fit for the northern life. I will order more yarn and make plans for vacations.