My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Sunday 30 July 2023

Life Is Like That

When I started this blog 10 years ago it was for a few reasons.  First, was that I enjoyed reading and seeing photos from Catherine’s blog.  I enjoy writing and through this I could keep a diary of events. We were just moving to live on a northern reserve and I wanted my family and friends to be a part of our experiences.

The blog got put aside a few years ago when it felt like more sadness was happening than good things. A few months ago when I decided to sign in again, I did it for healing purposes.  I wrote about my struggles and how I was improving with so much support.

I am now able to be back to sharing about the places we go and the people we see.  Of course, there are times, like today, when I want to share my perspective.

On Friday, we left our house for a road trip.  The weather was quite pleasant and the clouds looked pretty hanging so low on the mountains.  


As we continue, the skies grew darker and the rain came.  The road became busier.  We had packed a lunch with plans to eat at a picnic table.  When we arrived at the Columbia Icefield, the rain stopped and we found a table.  


The temperature had dropped to 7 degrees C and a cool wind came from the glacier.  We ate quickly and got back on the road.  More rain came and we were thankful we were in the car, not like the many bikers that were also travelling.  After 10 plus hours, we arrived in Prince George quite tired.  The next morning, we were on the road bright and early.  

We stopped along the way to check out a side by side that Stephen was interested in.  We continued along our way, taking time to stop and enjoy some sights.


Stephen passed us going the opposite way to pick up his new toy.  It felt kind of strange heading to his house with him going the other direction.  We knew that he would be back later.  We stopped at the lake.

The wind was blowing and a storm was approaching. We drove the rest of the way to Kitimat where we were greeted by 4 dogs, 3 cats and a Salmon dinner made by Kylie.  Stephen arrived home a few hours later.

As I pondered about our road trip, I thought about life.  Things can be going smooth and then storms happen.  Life gets hard and you don’t know how to take a break from it.  The rain clouds disappear long enough to give you strength to keep going.  Circumstances come that cause you to be blown a part but then again, do they? Yesterday, at the lake when the storm was rolling in, people were taking advantage of the wind.  An eagle soared looking so at home in the gusts.

Life happens.  There are trials, struggles and sadness.  I have learned that these times are circumstances with opportunities.  When a storm comes, you have three choices.  You can let the waves crash you on the rocks.  You might just take cover.  The best though, is when you position your sail just right and glide across the water.


No comments: