My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Thursday 19 December 2013

Checking off my list

This Christmas will be the quietest that we have ever had.
  • No family dinner to prepare for
  • No church banquet to set up and organize
  • No children's Christmas program to practise
But of course there are still some things to do:
1)  Decorate the house....done!
















2) Mail out the cards and presents...done!
3)  Host a dessert night with Ron's work group....done!
4) Write 2 final exams....oh my eyes ache.  A week of studying and 5 1/2 hours of exams...done!
5) Book a cruise (that is the gift that Ron and I have chosen for each other)....done!
6) Baking....that is my project for today:

Even though things are quieter around here this year we are still looking forward to celebrating Christmas.  The other night we got an unexpected invite for dinner at the Indian Child & Family Services.  The dinner was delicious but before we ate they wanted to ask the blessing.  Immediately someone turned and asked Ron.  Once a pastor, always a pastor.  It was nice.

Yesterday the band office delivered a box of food to us for Christmas.  It included a turkey, dressing, potatoes and vegetables.  How nice was that!

We will be having another group get together before Christmas to exchange gifts and Ron and I even get to go to church on Christmas Sunday.  I will cook a turkey with all the trimmings on Christmas and will be joined by two of the single guys that will be working through Christmas.

 So Christmas will be different this year but life is constantly changing and we have to make the best of it.  Christmas is about celebrating Christ's birth and you can do that with family and friends and just in your own heart.
At the bottom of the tree is an ornament that also reminds me that I have someone to be very thankful for:
This is an antique now.  Christmas get-togethers change through the years.  I would love to have the whole family here or be there with them but I am thankful that Ron and I will be together.
May your Christmas be filled with love and peace.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh my stars. Was that really your pile of Christmas cards you sent out? I'm glad I have limited relatives and friends. LOL!

Hoping to make a trip to Regina tomorrow so I can say I did something for my Christmas holidays. I can't believe we went from Disney World, to Palm Springs, to Calgary to the Moose Jaw Spa to a day trip to Regina.... oh well... I will keep in mind all the money we saved. Haha.

xo Catherine