My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Wednesday 8 June 2016

My Robin Update

Ron and I have had a lot of enjoyment watching our little robin family.  It was exciting seeing the baby robins grow and Mama and Papa taking such good care of them.
Four little ones were crammed into the nest and soon Mama came only to feed them because there was no room for her to stay there anymore.  She and her faithful hubby made steady trips to the nest feeding these little starving things.
Last Wednesday one little bird was getting pretty brave, standing on the heads of his/her brothers/sisters.  It would flap its wings and we knew that our time of watching them would soon be over.
The next morning Ron noticed that this little one had flown or fallen to the ground and I was so happy to have been there to take some more pictures of this one gaining some independence.
It seemed to enjoy the space and freedom away from the nest and mama watched closely to try and keep her wee one from danger.
The parents job had just gotten harder.  It's so much easier when your kids are safe in your home but now she had three in the nest and one struggling for independence.
It was interesting to watch mama trying to keep this little one in the area that she wanted it to be.  Since I had to be away all day I took another picture of the ones safe in the nest.
I knew it wouldn't be long before the nest would be empty and it made me feel kind of sad.  Sure enough when Ron came home for lunch he texted me to let me know that the babies had moved out.  When I got home that evening I missed looking up and seeing their little heads look at me.


The next night Ron stepped out on the back deck and was interested in a fox running across the field.  I went to come out but was more interested in the baby robin that was sitting on the railing.  I felt like this one had come back to say goodbye and it even let me go and get the camera to take one more picture.
As it flew away I was happy to think that they were now flying and not bouncing on the ground being an easy target.


According to my research robins build a nest and can use it up to three times in the season for a new little family.  I'm hoping that this robin will come back and let me watch the whole process again but just in case she has moved on I decided to put the little nest up for rent.
Free to a loving, growing family who doesn't mind the paparazzi.

No comments: