My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Friday 10 June 2016

Western Cruise Capital

When I found out that I was going to live in Three Hills, the western cruise capital, I was pretty excited.  I love cruises.
But if I was expecting a cruise ship to pull up I was extremely disappointed...for one thing there isn't any water near by.  So what's this about it being a cruise town?  Last weekend I found out.


It began Friday night with cars rolling into town and not just a few cars.  Brianne, Stephen and I went to check out some of the old and new cars parked in Anderson park.  Ron and Andrew were busy working and not really able to take in the sights.




 A lot of the cars took me back to when I was a teenager and a cool guy would be driving a fancy car.  The cars and drivers have both aged.  Of course, there were some pretty fancy new vehicles there too.
After their meet and greet, there was a parade of all of the vehicles.  Old, new, cars, trucks, fancy and loud rolled by us for 30 minutes of more.  The next day was the show and shine part of cruise weekend.  The main street was blocked off and lined with vehicles from the 1920's to new fancy and very expensive ones.
















The Tesla was an interesting new car.  It was super quiet due to it being electric and the owner actually could operate it on is iPhone by making it pull forward and move back into its spot. 

As we walked along the street I kept thinking how much my dad would have enjoyed this and I wanted to take lots of pictures to show our friend, Dave.
 When we came to an almost overflow area of vehicles I got kind of excited when I saw the Starsky and Hutch car (you have to be old to really appreciate that vehicle).


And THEN....I found it!  A 1985 Chevy Chevette.  It was the first car that Ron and I had ever bought brand new.  We were so excited to have a brand new car when he started bible college.  It cost us $5900 at the time and we could either afford an automatic transmission or a good sound system.  We chose the sound system and I had to learn how to drive a standard real quick.



A younger, thinner me with funny hair!
On Saturday evening we went to the airport to watch the races.  Even though we had lived close to Shannonville and Brighton (both race towns) and in Swift Current I had never been to a car race.  I really didn't think the noise, dirt and atmosphere would interest me.  I was wrong!  It was quite exciting seeing the speed of the vehicles and my heart raced a little faster at the sound of engines revving.    
So my cruise weekend didn't land me on a beach (and it sure was hot enough to want to be there) but it did make me appreciate the work that Three Hills had put into this special weekend and made me understand why they are called the western cruise capital.

No comments: