My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Saturday 21 June 2014

Longest Day of the Year!

Today is not the best kind of day for being the first day of summer.  It is dark and rainy here but I thought I would share a few fun facts for my few followers. 

A few months ago we bought an ipad and have had great fun playing with it and discovering new little tools....like apps.  One of the apps that we use is Find Friends, since we don't ever travel too far we watch Jenn travel around the Kingston and Gananoque area and Stephen scoot around Whitehorse.  Yes, I know what you are thinking...."I need a life!" but really...my kids are my life so it is all relevant.

So this is our family picture on Find Friends:
 
We are almost in the middle.  Stephen is 1961 km northwest and Jenn is 2251 km southeast.
 
Since it is the longest day of the year here are the stats:
  • Jenn had sunrise at 5:22 a.m. (I doubt she saw that!) and sunset at 8:53 p.m. which gives her a total of 15 hours and 31 minutes of sunshine.
  • We had a sunrise at 5:09 a.m. (Ron got in just before this) and sunset is at 10:27 p.m. which gives us a total of 17 hours and 18 minutes of sunshine.
  • Now Stephen, well he has a total of 19 hours and 9 minutes of sunshine since sunrise for him is at 4:27 a.m. and the sun doesn't go down until 11:36 p.m.  That sure makes for a short night.
  • And Swift Current people, I won't leave you out.  The sun peeked out at 4:59 a.m. and says goodnight at 9:25 p.m. which is a total of 16 hours and 26 minutes of sunshine.
So there you have it some distance and weather information.  That certainly should help you if you get stuck in an elevator and need some small talk to pass the quiet awkward moments.
 
Happy Summer!
 

No comments: