My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Thursday 5 April 2018

Done!

Leading up to my surgery was a hard go.  My anxiety had been high and my nerves bad.  Through this time I received two beautiful arrangements of flowers to encourage me.

From my cousin, Roxane and her husband Denis from Ontario
From special Ontario friends, Al & Donna Barr!
 A couple of  nights before surgery Andrew and Brianne invited us over.  I needed the distraction.  They are such great Alberta kids.

From Andrew & Brianne
The day before surgery, we left home and drove to the airport.  This was going to be a good day.  I was going to try and concentrate on being able to spend time with my family.
We picked up Jenn at the airport and then our son on the way to Banff.  We had lunch together.  This was the first time in so many years that the four of us were able to spend the whole day together.

We walked along the Cave and Basin in Banff after lunch and then went to Johnson Canyon.


My constant support!
 
It was a perfect way to keep my mind busy and enjoy the day with my husband and two great kids.  We spent the night at our son's and in the morning my support team surrounded me.
After a slower morning we headed to the hospital.  I had such a peace that I knew only came from the many people praying for me.  The physician was early and that has to be another miracle.

The surgery went well.  They took my whole thyroid which was not really the plan but I was kind of relieved it was gone especially when they said that the right side was so bad. Originally it was only going to be the left side that was to be removed.

During the surgery Ron and Jenn met our son and nephew for lunch.  The cousins hadn't seen each other in years.

Dustin & Jenn
After surgery Ron, Jenn spent some time with me and then our boy came after work to check on me.  It was hard when Ron left but I had great nurses to look after me.

The next morning we had to wait a little longer for me to be released due to my calcium levels.  Through that time Dustin and his two great kids came to visit and our son stopped by during his work day.  It amazed me to have so many surround me.

Finally, the doc gave the go ahead to let us leave and I was thrilled to make our way home.  I was drugged up and had Jenn wheel me down to the door where Ron was ready to load me up.

I had amazing care in the hospital and it continued at home.  Jenn made great meals for Ron and special treats for me.  It was so good to have her here.  Ron did the breakfast duty.

And then.....we had company and deliveries.  I could not have felt more special.  

Cards from friend in Ontario and Alberta


Beautiful arrangement from Carolyn.  A wonderful woman that Ron works with.
As if she hadn't done enough...Jenn brought these home from getting groceries.


Roxane, Denis and Richelle drove all the way from Cochrane for a short visit.


From the RCMP office



From my birthday buddy and fellow thyroid surgery friend, Thelma


From Ron's sister, Debbie and our niece Mandy and her sweet little family
It was so wonderful to have Jenn spend the week with us and help me get some strength back.  It was especially neat to get these facetimes with the grandkids.
Princess Sarah and Tammy Dickens

Anthony can't figure out why Mom is on the phone

Crazy Abby
On Wednesday, I had the hard time of saying goodbye to Jenn.  I knew that her family was anxious to have her back home but it was heart breaking for me.  I had the worse day.  Ron was away and I was in and out of bed.  In the evening my Alberta girl showed up ....like she always does.  Brianne brought me a couple of meals, a smoothie and a much needed hug.
 And I just received a message from another friend that she had something to drop off tonight.  I'm so spoiled.

No comments: