My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Monday 18 November 2013

Yukon Trip Part IV - ALASKA!

Friday took us on another road trip and this time it was to an area that was a little familiar.  In May for our 30th Anniversary Ron and I did the Alaskan Cruise but unfortunately I lost my camera at the end of the trip so this gave us time to gain some pictures to add to our memories.  It was hard to believe that we were already in the Yukon and now in a couple of hours going to be in Alaska.  I only wish that my Dad would be able to make this trip with me.  It was always his dream to see Alaska.  I will make sure and share all my pictures with him.

First stop Carcross, Yukon.  We had taken an excursion to Carcross from the cruise where we toured the area, found the Mountie's house, saw some totem poles  and a recreation of a ship but one of the most amazing areas is the Carcross Desert.  If you watched the Amazing Race Canada you would have seen this destination as one of the legs of race. 



As we were driving along the highway Ron spotted a Mountain Goat way up on the side of the mountain.  After stopping and taking a look we noticed that he wasn't alone.


The scenery was spectacular and as we travelled over the pass we encountered a bit of snow and then the sun peaked out.


I had to take a quick picture at Fraser, B.C.  This was were we had boarded the White Pass & Yukon Railway in May to ride the train through the mountains into Skagway.
We arrived in Skagway around 11:00 a.m. and had a big brunch and set out to see the sights.  There were not many stores open and the town was a bit of a ghost town.  It was quite different in May with a cruise ship at port and many eager venders wanting to part with their wares.


This is where our cruise ship was.
Overlooking Skagway
 We then went to check out Dyea.  It included winding roads, beautiful scenery, a cemetery for avalanche victims and we did see a few sea lions.






 It was another beautiful day and very early we saw the sun hide behind a mountain.
 

Stephen was an excellent tour guide and still more to come.



No comments: