My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Saturday 10 February 2018

Looking at the Postives

When I first heard and read "suspicious for thyroid papillary carcinoma" I tried to toss it to the back of my mind.  Of course, there were times it would slip to the top and I would ponder the idea of having cancer.  I knew from reading that Thyroid Cancer is very treatable and "the best" kind of cancer to have but still the thought was not welcoming.

The positive was that immediately when my daughter heard, she put things in motion, to be able to come out and help me through the recovery time.  As much as I dislike the idea of surgery, I look forward to this time that Jenn and I will have together.

Yesterday, Ron took the day off to go with me to talk to the surgeon.  First, his assistant explained the report once again indicating that the probability of cancer was 75% or higher.  She then told me that the doctor would want to check my vocal chords.  This, unfortunately, was not done by me trying to sing but rather putting a scope down my nasal passages.  This was rather uncomfortable and left me wondering...."Does this doctor know what he is doing... looking for something in my throat down my nose?"  Actually, he seemed quite thorough in explaining the procedure and recovery.  I shed only a few tears with the high percentage of the likelihood of cancer and a few more with the hunt for my vocal chords.

The positive was that since we were in Calgary, we got to have lunch with our boy.  It is always great to be able to have those moments.

From there, we went to the mall were we were finally putting an end to dealing with the "store" that had lost my engagement ring last year.  I had to sign a waiver that I can't talk negatively about this chain of jewellery stores.  After a year, of them unsuccessfully trying to design a ring that would go with my wedding bands, they paid me out and I got to walk away with the cheque. 

The positive is that next week we will go to pick up a ring that was designed to go with my bands and we only had to wait 5 weeks to get it.

So, even though my emotions seem to be a little whacky with dreading surgery; I have so many positives to consider and so I shall try and dwell on them and hopefully leave those other thoughts hidden.
 

No comments: