My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Thursday 3 August 2017

To Jasper and Back

On Monday we drove to Red Deer to get a tire fixed on our motorcycle.  Somehow we had picked up a nail.  Thankfully it only leaked air slowly.  After a brand new tire was put on, we were on the road.  It took a long time for the mountains to appear because of the smoke in the air but finally they made their presence known.

In Saskatchewan Crossing, we gassed up and headed north up the Icefields Parkway.
We stopped along the side of the road and ate our subs and enjoyed the scenery despite the heavy smoke that hung over the mountains.
Our next stop was at the Columbia Icefield.  We made the trek up to the receding glacier.  This was my fourth time there and every time you have to walk a little further.
We continued up the Parkway and stopped for a few pictures at Tangle Falls. 

At Sunwapta Falls we got a little exercise checking out the lower falls.


The skies cleared as it got later in the day and the further north we travelled.  We stopped in Jasper for a quick look around and grabbed some supper before driving to Miette.
The next morning we were the first in line to be in the hot springs.
Something was puzzling me though.  I remembered being here before but the hot springs didn't look anything like I remembered.  After our soothing soak in the warm water we went for a walk and found what did look a little familiar.

The hot springs use to be here.  Where I am standing could have been the exact spot of where I was soaking in the hot springs when I was 16 years old.  When we got home I found a picture of the Miette Hot Springs of yesteryear.
At least I wasn't going crazy...just getting old.  Throughout the rest of the morning we walked and relaxed.
In the afternoon the skies cleared and we decided to do a hike.  It really seemed like a good idea at the time.  It took us about 2 hours.  We went over the tree line and finally to the summit of the mountain.  It took a lot of coaxing to keep me going.





And finally, we made it!  Huffing and Puffing!



Red faces but smiles....and I deserved my treat!
I can't believe I am on the top of a mountain!
And then back down we went.  Slowly but steadily.

After another soak in the hot springs we were ready for a good night's sleep but my legs didn't quite agree.  They screamed at me all night.
The next morning we were up bright and early and headed back down the highway.  It was a tad chilly at only 1 degree Celsius.  Our tea and coffee tasted pretty good when we stopped for breakfast in Jasper.


Gradually the day warmed up.  We made frequent stops to warm up.  The Athabasca Falls is always one of my favourite places.

We stopped at the ice field again but only for the view with a cup of tea in hand.




If the scenery isn't enough for this drive, you always get the animals along the way.



It was a wonderful few days away.  Our last stop before leaving the mountains behind was at this beautiful spot just outside the park heading east.

The water is so beautiful.  It was a great way enjoy the last view of the mountains....until next week!  Well, actually Ron is on his way to the mountains right now and I'm thinking I need to soak my sore, aching body to recover from that mountain top experience.

1 comment:

Candice said...

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing!