My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Saturday, 22 August 2026

No Guarantees but Live with Joy

Last night before going to bed, I loaded the dishwasher and pressed start.  Just as I laid my head on the pillow, the dishwasher started to do a little alarm.  I came out to check it.  There were two codes flashing which, when interpreted by google, meant that it wasn’t draining.  I scooped, and sucked the water out with a Turkey baster.  I then cleaned the filter and restarted it.  I went back to bed and heard the same chimes.  We shut it off and decided it was a tomorrow’s problem.  So, this morning, it was today’s problem.  I drained the bottom again and Ron began his research.  He tried a couple of the tips and we pressed start again.  The now very familiar alarm went with the same two error codes.  Ron did more extensive research, and by research I mean watching YouTube videos on what the problem might be.  After careful review of the situation and one more trial and error which also meant another suctioning out of water, it was decided that the pump is done.  Ron removed it and ordered the part.  Stay tuned…this means hand washing dishes.

We had an early lunch and headed to Napanee.  A special lady in our church passed away while we were out west and her funeral was today.  Mary Esther and Bob always sit right behind mom and dad in church.  She always had a beautiful smile and would have something friendly to say.  She was a school friend of Ron’s mom.  Mom and I went to the hospital to visit her just before Ron and I left for British Columbia.  She smiled and said that she remembered Stephen when he would come to church with Donna.  I was sad to hear that I wouldn’t have any more visits with her.  Today, we celebrated her life.  

She had planned her own funeral.  Listening to the songs she chose and the scriptures to be read shows that she was ready to meet her Lord.  We mourn because we won’t see her smile and hear her encouraging words anymore.  We mourn because we will watch Bob attend church by himself but we rejoice knowing that she isn’t in pain and we will someday see her again.  

There is no guarantee of tomorrow so we should live each day with as much joy as we can.  I can almost guarantee that I probably will have to do the dishes by hand tomorrow.  I will have more joy when the dishwasher is fixed.



No comments: