My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Monday, 10 August 2026

Hike and Pizza

Our plans changed this morning.  We were going to go out on the boat and fish and go to the hot springs but a wise lady (Kylie) decided that the winds were a little too strong.  I’m thankful for cautious people.

So what now?  It became a hike day.  We set off to do the School House Trail.  


We haven’t hiked in the mountains in a few years.  We got to the trail head and I thought this shouldn’t be too bad.  The path led us around the school…I’m guessing that's how the trail got its name!  The first part was pretty level and the trail was surrounded by wild ferns.  

As we turned into a deeper forest, the elevation caused me to go slower.  Each time we turned I looked up to see the path lead us to steeper slope. My pace slowed to a crawl.  I stopped a number of times and wondered if I could do this.  I felt very frustrated with my breathing.  I was encouraged to just go slower and that is certainly what I did…real slow!  




Finally, we made it!  It was beautiful!  




As I recovered at the top of the trail, my mind was already anticipating the way down.  Going up is a cardiovascular work out but descending puts pressure on the knees and a concentration on not slipping.  Thankfully I made it up and down without giving up, falling or yelling.  It was a humbling experience.
When we got home the animals seemed concerned that I wouldn’t be able to make it up the stairs.


It was good to sit down and put my feet up.   Kylie and Stephen began working on pizza for supper.  Homemade dough and sauce, lots of choice of toppings and cooked on a Kamado.  
There were really good.  One of Stephen’s partners came over to enjoy the pizza creations.

Another day, another adventure…


No comments: