My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Sunday, 16 August 2026

Another Good Day!

We have been having such amazing weather and since yesterday was a bit of a tiring day, we took an extremely slow start. Finally, we decided that we should do a hike.  I was working up to the Burnt Bridge Loop Trail.

The reason for the trepidation was that a suspension bridge was part of the loop.  Suspension bridges and I don’t really like each other.  We started up the trail and Ron had to stop.  

He was suffering from an old fishing injury.  Perhaps, it wasn’t that old.  I didn’t tell the story yesterday because I didn’t really think it would play into any of our future plans.  So, let me digress…while we were on the fishing boat, Stephen caught a fish.  He quickly handed the rod to his dad.  Ron did an awkward turn and twisted his leg and fell to his knee.  When he straightened, Stephen had the rod back in his hands and had the fish in the boat.  Meanwhile, Ron was in pain.  He had pulled a muscle in his hamstring.  I guess the suspension bridge and I will have to wait.

We came home and Ron rested his leg.  Stephen, Kylie and I took Murphy and Beemer for a walk.

Koda came across the road to join us.  Around the corner, Princess became a part of our caravan.  Another dog tried to come along but Princess and Koda wouldn’t have anything to do with it.  We walked to the river and the dogs played in the water. Koda is very interested in the squirrels and salmon.

When we got back, Ron decided to get his licence to do some river fishing. We drove to a spot where Stephen and Kylie had fished before.  
We walked down through the path with huge trees all around us.  We had to walk through the water to get to the area to fish.  
The quota is 2 salmon each.  Kylie grabbed her rod and said that she was going to show them how to catch a pink salmon.  Just like that, she had one on her line.

 It was so easy that she let it go.  She repeated it again.  The boys kept snagging the fish along their backs or tails.  If they are snagged, they need to be let go.

Kylie got her two and then Stephen got his.  
Ron had one and then he kept snagging them and having to release them.  The sun was setting when finally a fish decided to bite the lure.  
We cheered and the people across the river smiled at our excitement.  The fish were gathered and we made our way back through the trail, across the water and by the big trees.


Once again, the work began.  Stephen cleaned the fish.  Kylie pulled the bones and Stephen skinned them.  They were preparing the fish to be ground to be turned into salmon burgers.

So Kylie may have been the fishing instructor but I was the foreman…
Another good day!

No comments: