My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Monday 7 July 2014

Canoeing .... so peaceful

Well that is the way I remember it last year.  Ron and I would pack a lunch and find a quiet lake and canoe all day.  The only sound that might be heard is the plunk in the water from Ron's cast or the lonely sound of a loon.  So on Saturday it was a beautiful warm day.  We packed a lunch and loaded the canoe.
As we set out across the lake it didn't seem as quiet as I remembered it.  Oh wait, we have a couple of extra passengers.
Once we convinced Emma to sit reasonably still the day was filled with questions.
  • How come you paddle like that?
  • What are waves?
  • Are there fish in the water?
  • Can I paddle?
  • Is it time to eat yet?
  • Can we go in that boat?
  • Why does Grandpa always sit in the back?
  • Can I get out now?
  • Are we done yet?
  • Can we do this again?
At lunch time we stopped for a nice break.  We really can pack a lot in the canoe.  2 adults, 2 children, 4 chairs, lunch, towels, extra clothes and a pile of snacks.  It makes for a comfortable rest time.

Emma decided to be brave and try the water and Sarah took a quick dip but preferred land.

As we made our way back the girls were learning the art of relaxing in the canoe and the questions were slowing down. 

 
 
There was a very interesting rock island that grabbed our attention and we just had to be explorers. 

It was a great day; perhaps not as quiet as I remember our canoe trips from last year but very fun.  We are so enjoying our little visitors and are going to make the most of every day.  As we loaded the truck the girls looked happy and it wasn't very long before the backseat grew quiet.  We drove home with the music playing and talking about what great grandkids we had.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Awww - so cute!!! Looks like you tuckered the little girls right out! Haha! Oh you are going to miss them terribly when they have gone back home but I know from staying with my grandparents on the farm every summer that you are making very good memories for them. Wonderful!
xo Catherine

LMWIEBE said...

Oh my, how cute are they and so lucky to be able to stay with the both of you. I would canoe with the 2 of you if you let me sit in the middle, looks like you had a great day!!